Practical Object-Oriented Development in C++ and Java
Bug Report Page
- Page xi
- Change http://www.horstmann.com/Practicaloo.html to http://www.horstmann.com/PracticalOO.html
- Page 24
- Change "Writing the code to implement templates is not easy; we
will cover the details in Chapter 14" to "Writing the code to
implement templates is not easy; we will cover the details in Chapter 15"
- Page 25
- Change "For example, vector<double> a; defines
an array of 10 floating-point numbers" to ""For example,
vector<double> a(10); defines an array of 10
- Page 27
- Change String s = "Hello, World"; to string
s = "Hello, World"; and String filename to
string filename (i.e. lowercase s)
- Page 31 and 34
- In the binom function, replace n- with n--.
- Page 38
- Change include <fstream> to #include <fstream>
- Page 43
- Change "The corresponding code in C will not compile." to "The
corresponding code in C++ will not compile."
- Change #define square(x) (x)*(x)) to #define square(x)
((x)*(x)) (that is, add a parenthesis)
- Page 52
- Change "We will define inline functions" to "We will
not define inline functions"
- Page 56 line 4 from bottom
- Change "the C compiler " to "the C++ compiler"
- Page 69 middle of page
- Change ": date_date" to "date - date"
- Page 88 Figure 5.4
- Change receive greeting to receive message
- Page 104 Caption for Figure 5.18
- Replace "Booch diagram" with "UML diagram"
- Page 147
- Page 154 and 159
- Replace string _text with string _message. (This
also should be changed in shapes.cpp in the companion code.)
- Page 156 Figure 7.16
- Replace _text with _message.
- Page 333
- Change : _buffer(g), ostream(&buffer) to :
_buffer(g), ostream(&_buffer) (i.e. add _ before
- Page 410
- The text and figure give the impression that an auto_ptr
that no longer owns the object is set to NULL. Sadly, that is
not the case. It retains its old value, which quietly becomes a bad
pointer when the new owner is destroyed.
- Change "the smart pointer pe contains only a NULL
pointer" to "the smart pointer pe contains a
pointer to a deleted memory block"
- In the figure, add owns: true inside the first
rectangle on the left labeled p and inside the fourth
rectangle on the left labeled q
- In the figure, change NULL to owns: false
- Page 411
- Remove the lines
const X& operator*() const
const X* operator->() const
It doesn't make sense to make this distinction for a const rc_ptr<X>.
It would make sense to introduce a separate typerc_const_ptr<X>
- Back cover
- Change "C++ Reports" to "C++ Report"
- Wiley web site
- The table of contents does not match the actual table of contents of
the book. According to my editor: "I suspect the only way to make
them match at this point is if both were revised."
Thanks to Stephen Arndt, J. Cross, Anders Erlander, Edward Fron, Paul
Gallivan, Luke T. Gatchell, R. Kuramoto, Konstantin Laufer, Hai Le, Allen
Walker and a number of anonymous contributors for their bug reports!
Please report any remaining bugs in this edition on the bug report form.